Serves : Makes about 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 large bunch mint
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- Salt & Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups vegetable stock or water
- 450-gram dried split peas
How to Make It
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium high heat until hot.
- Stir the onions, carrots, celery & garlic and sauté until just soft.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chili flakes, cumin and turmeric powder and cook 1 minute.
- Pour in the split peas and stock or water add bay leaves, bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the split peas are very soft and falling apart
- Add in the cilantro and mint (leave some mint for garnish)
- Serve garnish with additional mint leaves and garlic croutons
Pita Garlic Croutons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Dash of salt
- 1 large pita bread round, split
How to make
- Heat oven
- Combine oil, garlic and oregano, brush oil mixture over each pita bread circle.
- Cut each pita circle into bite-size pieces, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 5 to 7 minutes or until croutons are golden brown