4 to 6 main-course servings
3-4 table spoons olive oil
2 tablespoons ground cumin (preferably fresh ground)
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1.5 kg meaty beef shank with bone
1 large onion chopped
2 ripe, medium tomatoes, or 4 plum tomatoes peeled and chopped
Chicken stock or water
4 to 6 fairly small boiling potatoes, peeled
- Mix together the cumin, turmeric, and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy casserole over low heat.
- Add the beef shanks and brown in the oil
- Sprinkle with salt and spice mixture and cook over low heat about 7 minutes, turning pieces occasionally so they are well coated with spices.
- Add in the onion and tomato to casserole pot.
- Add hot water or stock to cover and continue to cook until meat us tender.
- Add potatoes and add more liquid if necessary so they are covered.
- Bring to a boil, and then skim foam from surface.
- Cover and cook over low heat until soup is well flavored.
- Skim excess fat. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve hot, in shallow bowls.