SOPHIE’S CHOPPED FRIED FISH BALLS (my interpretation)
- 450-gram carp and 450 gram Denis skinned and boned and minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 medium onions, finely grated
- 100 gram matzo meal, or bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp canola (rapeseed) oil
- More canola or other vegetable oil to fry
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Place in the fridge for one hour to firm the mix
- Roll into medium sized balls by hand
- Then roll to coat them with the spare matzo meal / bread crumbs
- Heat the oil in a large shallow frying pan (around 4 cm in depth)
- Turn the balls until they go golden brown
- Once cooked, chill them They taste amazing hot but hey actually taste even better cold
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 250 gram raw horseradish root
- 150 gram raw beets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup warm boiled water
Directions for White Chrain
- Peel the horseradish and grind it finely by hand or in a food processor.
- Mix it together with all the other ingredients and refrigerate in a tightly closed jar.
- Ready to eat after a few hours.
For Red Chrain
- Peel the beets and horseradish and leave in cold water for about an hour.
- Drain and grind them finely by hand or in a food processor.
- Mix together with all the other ingredients and refrigerate in a tightly closed jar
- Ready in a few hours to eat. .