3 cups cooked, cold rice (preferably precooked half to one day in advance)
1/2 cup shelled and cleaned shrimps
1/2 cup Chinese barbecued pork (cha shao/叉烧)
1/2 cup green peas
2 eggs – lightly beaten
3 stalks green onion (scallions) – chopped
3 Tbsp cooking oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
2 cloves garlic
3 thin slices ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
Dash of pepper
1 to 2 Tbsp water (depending on softness of rice)
1. Add salt and sugar to shrimps and let marinate for 20 minutes.
2. Heat wok on medium heat and add cooking oil. Fry garlic and ginger for a few seconds till they impart their aroma, then add shrimps. Stir-fry till shrimps change colour.
3. Pour in beaten eggs and scramble slightly. Add in rice, salt, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper and some water – stir-fry for a few seconds. Then add barbecued pork and green peas. Continue frying for several minutes till rice is aromatic.
4. Add green scallions and turn off heat.
5. Mix well. Ready to serve.