Serves: 10 servings
8 large russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into thick batons
Salt and pepper
- Rinse cut potatoes in a large bowl with lots of cold running water until water becomes clear.
- Cover with water and ice. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- In the deep fryer, heat oil to around 163 degrees Celsius.
- Drain ice water from cut fries and dry thoroughly.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add fries, a handful at a time, to the hot oil.
- Fry, until potatoes are soft and limp and begin to turn a blond color, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove fries from the oil and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- At this point the half cooked fries can be refrigerated for up to 2 days before final frying.
- When ready to serve the French Fries, reheat the oil to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Transfer the blanched French fries to the hot oil and fry again, until golden brown about 1 minute.
- Transfer to paper lined platter and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.