4 slices of firm white sandwich bread or any other preferred bread
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese (or any other firm yellow cheese)
8 slices streaky bacon
4 thick slices ripe tomato
1 tablespoon butter
8 crisp lettuce leaves
1. Fry bacon until crispy and drain on absorbent paper
2. Place the slices of bread on a clean work surface. Butter and layer 2 of the bread slices with a slice of cheese; sliced tomato and top with 4 strips of crispy bacon. Grind on fresh black pepper and sprinkle with little salt and finally the remaining slices of cheese.
3. Top with remaining bread slices, pressing gently to adhere. Generously butter both sides of each sandwich, spreading it all the way to the edges
4. Place bread buttered side down in a fry pan over medium-high heat. Cover with lid and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden and the cheese is melted.
5. Cut in half and place on the crispy lettuce leaves to serve