Ingredients (for 5 hungry persons)
1 kg beef shin or shoulder or any tender part of the beef cut into 2×2 cm cubes
3 tablespoons good quality vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1-2 carrots, diced
1 parsnip, diced
1 bunch of celery leaves
200 gram medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped,
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 fresh green peppers
4-5 medium potatoes cut into even chunks
1-2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika powder
1 teaspoon ground caraway seed
2 bay leaves
Freshly ground black pepper and salt according to taste
Homemade chicken stock
- Heat up the oil in a heavy based pot and sauté the chopped onions until golden brown colour.
- Sprinkle the onions with paprika powder. Cook until the oil separates and a nice paprika aroma is achieved.
- Keep stirring to prevent the paprika from burning.
- Add the beef cubes and sauté until browned.
- Add the garlic, ground caraway seeds, salt and ground black pepper and bay leaf
- Pour stock (or water) enough to cover the content of the pan and let it simmer on low heat for just about 1 hour. It can take longer depending on the type and quality of the beef.
- Add the diced carrots, parsnip and the potatoes, the celery leaf and some more salt if necessary Add water or stock if needed.
- When the vegetables and the meat are almost done add the tomato cubes and the sliced green peppers. Let it cook on low heat for another few minutes. You can remove the lid of the pan if you want the soup to thicken.
- Serve with fresh egg noodles or Spaetzle