1 medium sized red onion – sliced
2 cloves of garlic – crushed
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 green or red capsicum – cubed
2 stalks of celery – sliced
2 zucchinis – sliced
1 small head broccoli – separated and blanched in salted hot water (plunge into cold water and drain)
2 large potatoes – peeled and cubed. Par-boiled
1 can pre-cooked chick peas
1 bunch coriander
1 table spoon curry powder
1 tea spoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper
- Sauté the sliced onions in a good amount of olive oil until wilted and turning golden.
- Add salt and garlic.
- Add the carrots, celery, zucchini and peppers and continue to sauté.
- Add the spices and continue to fry until fragrant.
- Add 1 cup vegetable stock or hot water
- Add the potatoes and chick peas and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and add in a hand full of roughly chopped coriander.
- When all the vegetables are cooked (do not overcook) add in the blanched broccoli
- Add water or stock if too dry.
- Serve overPersian rice pilaf with coriander garnish
(It is possible to use other vegetables that are seasonal in the Shuk: Tomatoes, Green beans (blanched first), Peas, Ful, green cabbage, pumpkin etc)