While we are at home more than usual because of the covid-19 virus, it’s important to stock up on foods that will give us the right balance of fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It also means shopping for food that will last for a protracted period of time — Let’s hope we will not be holed up for too long, but just in case, here’s one of my tried and tested soups using our emergency pantry items.
Spiced Split Pea Soup with Garlic Pita Croutons
Serves : Makes about 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 large bunch mint
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- Salt & Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups vegetable stock or water
- 450-gram dried split peas
How to Make It
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium high heat until hot.
- Stir the onions, carrots, celery & garlic and sauté until just soft.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chili flakes, cumin and turmeric powder and cook 1 minute.
- Pour in the split peas and stock or water add bay leaves, bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the split peas are very soft and falling apart
- Add in the cilantro and mint (leave some mint for garnish)
- Serve garnish with additional mint leaves and garlic croutons
Pita Garlic Croutons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Dash of salt
- 1 large pita bread round, split
How to make
- Heat oven
- Combine oil, garlic and oregano, brush oil mixture over each pita bread circle.
- Cut each pita circle into bite-size pieces, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 5 to 7 minutes or until croutons are golden brown
The artist is the creator of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist is art’s aim. The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.