Nasi goreng, literally meaning Fried Rice in Bahasa and refers to fried pre-cooked rice, typically spiced with kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), sambal Ulek, shallots, garlic and canalso include other ingredients, particularly egg, chicken, prawns and a variety of vegetables. There is also another kind of nasi goreng which is made with ikan asin (salted dried fish) which is also popular across Indonesia.
“Fried Rice” can be found in one version or another through out Asia but Nasi goreng is truely the national dish of Indonesia eaten at any time of the day from road side hawker carts to 5 star restaurants and every day at home.
Ingredients for 2
10 ml vegetable or coconut oil for friying
2 eggs, whisked
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large shallot, sliced thin
Red chili (to taste) chopped
50 gram sambal ulek (see recipe below)
50 gr chicken meat
50 gr prawn meat
400 gr cooked lkong grain rice
5 ml sweet soya
5 gr fried shallot
1. heat the wok or heavy bottomed frying pan, add oil and fry the egg
2. add the prawn and chicken continue to sauté then add all vegetables.
3. when the vegetable start to wilt add the rice and bring the fireto high and continue to stir.
4. add all seasoning; sambal ulek, sweet soya salt and pepper
5. finish with fried shallot.
Can add a fried egg on top and serve with sliced cucumber, tomato and prawn crackers
Sambal ulek200 gr shallot, slice
500 gr red chili, seeded slice
5 gr hot chili, slice
200 gr tomato, seeded, roughly chopped
3 pc lime leaves
5 gr shrimp paste
15 gr chicken powder
10 gr salt
100 ml vegetable oil
1. sauté all ingredients except the lime leaves until tender and soft.
2. blend in blender until become a smooth paste
3. sauté again with lime leaves until the oil separated and the color are red.