Yield: 6 1x
An authentic Mediterranean bean soup recipe. This is the authentic recipe for fasolada, a local characteristic
- 500g dry white beans
- 3–4 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 130ml extra virgin olive oil (1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsps tomato puree
- a pinch of paprika (hot or sweet, according to preference)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Parsley and coriander to garnish
- Place the beans in a bowl with plenty of cold water to cover them. Soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and put into a saucepan, cover with fresh cold water, bring to the boil, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 45 – 60 minutes, until tender.
- Drain in colander and set aside.
- Add 3-4 tbsps olive oil in a pan, add the chopped vegetables and sauté
- Add the tomato paste, paprika, salt & pepper and continue sautéing for a minute.
- Add the soaked beans in the pan and pour in enough boiling water to cover the beans.
- Place the lid on and simmer the fasolada for about 35 minutes, until the beans are tender.
- Towards the end of cooking time, pour in the remaining olive oil , taste and season.
- Cook for a few more minutes, until the soup becomes thick and creamy.
- Serve this traditional Greek bean soup (fasolada) with a fresh salad and plenty of bread