8 Small shallots, peeled and quartered
2 Cloves garlic, peeled
1 Piece fresh ginger (about 2/3 to full index finger length), peeled and quartered
1 Piece fresh turmeric (about 2/3 to full index finger length), peeled and quartered (can substitute with 1/2 teaspoon dry turmeric)
4 Tablespoons peanut oil
2 Stalks fresh lemon grass, green tops and outer leaves removed. Cut into two with a slit alongside the stalk
4 Kaffir lime leaves
1 1/4 Cups unsweetened light coconut milk
1 Teaspoon sugar
3/4 Teaspoon salt
1 1/2 – 2 lbs Tilapia, cod or any white fish.
5 Long green and red chilies stemmed and cut a slit a long the length.
1/4 Cup of tamarind water
1. In a food processor put shallots, garlic, turmeric and ginger. Pulse and scrape from edges of processor until paste consistency is reached.
2. Heat up oil on low medium in a large pan. Add paste from food processor, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and chilies and sauté while mixing until aromas are released.
3. Add coconut milk and 1/4-cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for couple minutes longer.
4. Add the fish and cook with lid on for few minutes, the fish will release liquids as well, and then take lid off to let liquid evaporate for the rest of cooking time. Total cooking time for fish 10-20 minutes depending if you added fillet or a whole fish.
5. Serve with plain Jasmine rice or Lemongrass Scented Coconut Rice